• 01270 780270
  • admin@sound.cheshire.sch.uk
  • 2 Whitchurch Rd, Sound, Nantwich CW5 8AE
  • Who Are Your Governors

Anthony Shuker Chair of Governors

Anthony Shuker – Chair – Co-opted

Both of my boys attended Sound from Reception to year six and what a great job the school did. I have been involved with the PTA since 2008. I am an IT professional with over 20 years experience working in higher education and business, working primarily with Microsoft technologies, programming, technical training and project management. With a BSc in Physiology and a Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery, I did my term as Media & IT director on the board of the Porsche Club Great Britain.

Appointed by the Governing body on 28 Nov 2022 (original appt 24 Nov 2014)
    Term of office 4 years
    Responsibilities: Chair, Safeguarding  & Training Liaison Governor

What is your favourite thing about Sound/ What makes Sound special?

What I most enjoy about Sound School is the children, hearing them laugh on a cinema night, the fantastic achievement of ALL the children (no matter how small) and the fact they enjoy attending Sound. There are many factors that make our school so special, but one of the main factors is the great staff we have that hold and promote the values of the school and believe in the children.

What is your background and why did you want to be a governor?

Two questions really. I studied Medicine at Aberdeen University, moved into a career in IT a few years later, initially at Aberdeen University, then for a major IT service provider. Spent part of my career as an IT trainer, an IT developer, and now I manage a team developing IT solutions.

We have a fantastic school, and as a parent I thought I should do my bit to help the school continue to achieve, so I got involved with the PTA, planning and running events, went on to be chair (of the PTA), and was invited by the then governing board to join. I had no hesitation in saying yes. I might only play a tiny part in the work that the school does, but it is a wonderful feeling being a tiny cog in a school that has such a massive impact on the lives of our children.

What are your governor responsibilities?

I am the current chair of governors, which is a complex and multi-faceted role. I lead the governing board to ensure it fulfils its functions well. That it focuses is on vision and strategy, I advise and shape proposals to be discussed at the board meetings. I aim to facilitate the board in working as a team to challenge, support and contribute to the strategic leadership of the school. At times I am a confidante, a manager, a critical friend, a cheerleader, an ambassador, an arbitrator, and coach.

I am also the Training Liaison governor. Collating the training needs and activities of the governing board, and identifying any skill gaps in the board.

I continue in my role as link governor for IT and safeguarding.

Headteacher. Mrs L Minshull Thomas

Mrs L Minshall Thomas – Headteacher

Head teacher at Sound and District Primary since 1st January 2017

Appointed by the Governing body on 1 Jan 2017
    Term of office  – continuous
    Member of the Achievement and Standards committee
    Member of the Resources committee

What is your favourite thing about Sound/ What makes Sound special?

I love the family feel at Sound and how the school community work so amazingly as a caring and hard working team.

What is your background and why did you want to be a governor?   

My background is in education and teaching. I have worked in a large inner city school in Manchester as an Assistant head and governor and then as a deputy headteacher and acting headteacher in Congleton.

I am the headteacher so sit in on all meetings sharing information about the school.

3 words to describe yourself ?

Fun, Hardworking, caring

3 hobbies of yours?

I love all sports and the outdoors. I particularly love my football (my beloved Everton), I enjoy spending time with my family and love going on camping trips!

Bates

Anna Bates – Co-opted Governor

I have three children, one of whom currently attends Sound. I have run my own business (teaching babies to swim) for the last twelve years and spent the ten years prior to that in sales. This experience has definitely helped me in my role as School Governor.

Appointed by governing board 17 Feb 2019
    (Previously elected by parents on 8 May 2015)
    Term of office 4 years
    Vice Chair of Governors
    Chair of the Resources committee
    Responsibilities: Marketing and communications, SFVS, Finance sub-committee

I am the link governor for Geography, History, PSHE & Global Learning and Safeguarding.

What is your favourite thing about Sound/ What makes Sound special?

I love the friendly atmosphere at Sound, we are a small, rural school and all the children know each other and all the teachers. This really helps to make school life easier.

What is your background and why did you want to be a governor?   

My background is in sales and operational management. I have always loved helping people, and I love to be busy (with three children and a business I don’t have much choice!). I like being a part of the team where my children go to school and helping to ensure it runs smoothly.

I sit on the resources committee where I am marketing and communications governor. I am also on the finance sub-committee.

3 words to describe yourself ?

Talkative, Hardworking, Loyal

3 hobbies of yours?

I love training, working out and playing sport in general. I play for a local hockey and netball team. When I get chance I love to read. I enjoy spending time with my children.

Kevin Burt (co opted)

Kevin Burt – Co-opted Governor

Appointed by the Governing body on 24 June 2019 (previous appointment 29 June 2015)
    Term of office 4 years
    Responsibilities: Health and Safety

I am the link governor for Health & Safety, PE and Science.

What is your favourite thing about Sound? / What makes Sound special? 

3 words to describe yourself…

3 hobbies of yours…

Sarah Dale – Co-opted Governor

I am a co-opted governor and joined the governing body in 2018. I have two children, both of whom attend Sound School.

Appointed by the Governing board on 16 May 2022 (previously appointed on 25 Apr 2018)
    Term of office 4 years

Sound has always been very special to me as this was my own primary school. I have lots of very special memories of my time as a pupil. My favourite thing about Sound is the family feeling, children who I went to school with are now coming back as parents.

I have worked in school as a teaching assistant since 2004. I chose to be a governor as I wanted to give something back to the school and help create amazing memories for our children.

Mathematics

Caring, competitive, friendly

3 hobbies of yours…

Spending time with my family, caravan-ing, farming.

Kirsty Booth – Co-opted Governor

I am a co-opted governor and I have been in the post since 2012. I am the deputy head of Sound and District Primary School.

Appointed by the Governing board on 28 Nov 2022 (previous appointment Nov 2014)
    Term of office 4 years
    Member of the Resources committee and Achievements & Standards committee
    Responsibilities: Mental health 1st Aid, Joint link governor for English and French

I love the family feel, the teamwork within school and how everyone pulls together to make things happen.

I want to ensure as a school we give the best for our pupils and that Governors are fully informed of school details.

Well-being / Behaviour

Enthiusiastic, Competitive, Open/honest

3 hobbies of yours…

Climbing, Netball, Walking

Mrs J Cotterall

Mrs Cotterell

Jan Cotterall – Staff Governor

I was elected by the staff as the staff governor.

Appointed by Staff on 17 Feb 2019
    Term of office 4 years
    Member of the Resources committee and Achievements & Standards committee
    Responsibilities: Pupil Premium

3 hobbies of yours…

Steph Thompson – Parent Governor

I am a parent governor and joined the governing body in 2022. I have one son who is currently in Year 2. I am a teacher of Maths and have worked in local schools since I trained. I’m really pleased that I’ve finally jumped in and been selected to be a governor!

Appointed by the Governing board 21st March 2022
    Term of office 4 years
    Member of the Achievements and Standards committee

I am the link governor for SEN, Mental Health & Maths.

Sound is so welcoming and has such a family feel.

I worked for Cheshire Police many years ago and left to train as a maths teacher. I think both of these will help me in my role as governor. I love working in a team and doing what I can to help improve whatever it is we’re aiming towards.

I’m link governor for maths but as I settle in I’m sure I’ll be taking on more roles!

Determined, loyal, stubborn!

3 hobbies of yours…

I love playing hockey, growing veg in my veg patch and spending time with my family.

Elaine Needham – Parent Governor

I was elected by parents as a parent governor. I have two boys at Sound, currently in Year 5. My background is in Marketing & Communications.

Elected by Parents on 7th Jan 2020
    Term of office 4 years
    Responsibilities: Link governor for computing, RE and Early years

Sound has a family feel where children are put first. I love all the outdoor space the school has and how they put that to great use for the children’s wellbeing.

I’ve worked in Marketing & Communications for over 20 years and hope to bring some of my skills and experience from working in a range of industries to support the team at Sound. I love seeing the children happy and thrive at Sound.

I am the link governor for RE, Computing and Early Years.

Loyal, Collaborative, Tenacious!

3 hobbies of yours…

Spending time with family, keeping fit (or trying to!) and taking holidays!