Sound and District Primary School provides children with the opportunity to develop creativity and imagination in art through a range of activities, recording from first hand experiences and from imagination.
Purpose of study
Art, craft and design embody some of the highest forms of human creativity. A high-quality art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment, invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our
The national curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
Key stage 1
Pupils should be taught:
- to use a range of materials creatively to design and make products
- to use drawing, painting and sculpture to develop and share their ideas, experiences and imagination
- to develop a wide range of art and design techniques in using colour, pattern, texture, line, shape, form and space
- about the work of a range of artists, craft makers and designers, describing the differences and similarities between different practices and disciplines, and making links to their own work.
Key stage 2
Pupils should be taught
- to develop their techniques, including their control and their use of
materials, with creativity, experimentation and an increasing awareness of different kinds of art, craft and design.
Pupils should be taught:
- to create sketch books to record their observations and use them to review and revisit ideas
- to improve their mastery of art and design techniques, including drawing, painting and sculpture with a range of materials [for example, pencil, charcoal, paint, clay]
- about great artists, architects and designers in history
Art and Design and Technology at Sound and District Primary School
Sound and District Primary School provides children with the opportunity to develop creativity and imagination in art through a range of activities, recording from first hand experiences and from imagination. Children are encouraged to use a variety of media as well as studying the work of key artists and designers. We also take every opportunity for the children to work with visiting artists. The children’s art work is frequently displayed within the school and the local community.
Each year we have a highly anticipated and extremely successful Art Week. The children spend the whole week working around a chosen theme. We dedicate our time to inspiring the children through Art and tackling many exciting and large-scale projects to help develop and build on their existing Art skills. Each class throughout the school creates pieces of Art, both individually and in groups, based on the theme. The following week, parents, grandparents, relatives and friends are invited to visit the school to enjoy and appreciate the children’s hard work, in an exhibition of their talents. This has always been a resounding success, with a big impact, and we always urge as many visitors as possible; it is a real celebration of the creativity within our school.
Please see some of our fabulous art work in the photographs below!